Friday, May 17, 2013

A Day to Remember!!

After the Resurrection Jesus appeared to many of his followers and to some strangers, but most of them did not recognize him at first.  Such was the case of the two men on the road to Emmaus. (Luke 24:13-34). In fact these two only recognized him when he blessed the bread they were about to eat.  "Suddenly, their eyes were opened and they recognized him.  And at that moment he disappeared."  As I read that passage and other accounts of Jesus' post resurrection appearances it seemed to me that Jesus loves to surprise us! 

Well He certainly surprised me yesterday!  Mother's day, for me, is always special, but yesterday was the best ever.  Why?  For many reasons.  I was surrounded by all of my daughter's family!  They all honored me and gave me a wonderful gift, beautiful cards and I was certainly "feeling the love".  Then while we were at dinner I received a call from my beloved son.  He wished me a happy day, but then did what he has always done best - he made me laugh.  He has a wonderful sense of humor and can take on hilarious impersonations at the drop of a hat.  (Some of that was hard to take when he was a teenager because his funny side always came out when he wanted me to get over something he had done wrong, or wanted to agree to let him do something!) But, now, I love it and spent several minutes enjoying his silliness over the phone on the speaker in a public restaurant, no less.  But the best gift of all was from Jesus himself!  What???  Well like those two men of the Emmaus road, I didn't recognize Him at first.  You see, Calvin was his old self all day long.  He felt good!!  He went to dinner with us; shared conversation with us; enjoyed the family and especially our son's phone call.  Later, we napped together in front of a golf tournament. (This is something we did together, almost every Sunday, in years gone by!)  Then we went to get ice cream at his suggestion, went to a local park and walked half way around the track, a miraculous feat for a man who often has trouble walking across our small back yard.  At home, that evening, we watched Survivor until 9:00.  (Again, completely out of what has become our ordinary. - 8:00 bedtime!)  We talked and enjoyed each other talking and laughing!  (I found myself thanking God for each milestone, while I could clearly see that this was special it was only later that I could see just how special!)  While I marveled at each extraordinary accomplishment it was only later that I "recognized" the Grace of God that had directed and permeated our day.  As I sit here alone on Monday morning I can clearly see God's hand in every moment.  He was all around our day, but we didn't recognize him, until he had passed by.  Thank you Jesus!  You're the best!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment